Director of Human Resources|
At ActBlue, we build and power the premier online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and make giving online as easy as possible. And we work with thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations to local school board members.
The most rewarding part? Our work has led to a transformation of the power structures in this country. It takes all types to make ActBlue go, from political junkies to number whizzes to designers and writers. We pride ourselves on working hard as a growing team to create big change. And we’re looking for more great people to join us.
The Director of Human Resources will be responsible for the efficient and effective operations of the human resources function at ActBlue. The Director will perform these duties in collaboration with senior staff and supervise the efforts of the other staff members who make up the Human Resources Department. To accomplish the goals of the department, the Director will set, implement, and enforce all of the policies, procedures, expectations, and norms that ensure the staff overall are well supported, are positioned to successfully carry out their roles, respect and collaborate with one another, and preserve and contribute to a culture and office environment that best reflects ActBlue’s organizational values. Through our first decade and a half, some staff members have performed these tasks in addition to their other responsibilities. But now we’re looking for someone to help us take the next step and focus solely on these efforts.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Give us direction. You’ll work with senior management to shape new and existing policies and practices, like paid time off, diversity and inclusion, and employee conduct. We’ll look to you to chart the course to the most productive and harmonious workplace.
- Bring out the best in us. You'll help preserve and improve upon ActBlue's culture and working environment for both in-office and remote employees, making it as inclusive as possible. Ensuring that our organizational culture reflects the best of what ActBlue stands for will be your goal.
- Invigorate our team. ActBlue is in a constant state of growth, and you’ll be at the center of it all. You’ll supervise our recruitment staff, including technical recruiting, to ensure we have all of the top talent we need to be successful.
- Be our welcome squad. We love it when new people join us, and we strive to make the onboarding experience great. You’ll be tasked with making our hellos even more welcoming. And when we have to say goodbye, you will help us make it a smooth transition that supports both ActBlue and departing staff.
- Keep the lifeblood flowing. No workplace can function without someone to run the payroll and provide health insurance. You will be the keeper of ActBlue’s philosophy that compensation and benefits aren’t just a means to an end, but a statement demonstrating that we care about and value the people who work here.
- Help us increase our know-how. We’ve accomplished a lot, but we always want to do more! You will help every member of our team build on their skills and access professional development to make them even more successful contributors to ActBlue and beyond.
- You know your stuff. You’ve been doing this a while (8+ years experience) and you have a firm grasp of HR fundamentals like benefits administration, conflict resolution, and compensation policies. SHRM, HRCI, or other certification is preferred. But if you have the skills, we want to hear from you!
- This is not for paper pushers. At ActBlue, we believe a policy is only good if it actually helps people as well as the organization. If you also have a distaste for pointless bureaucracy, you’re our type!
- Diversity isn’t a buzzword. You know what it means to be committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion, and you can show it. You know how to think and talk about matters of representation, distribution of power, and accountability in ways that move us toward effective, sustainable solutions.
- What’s right matters. The world isn’t always fair, but you’re not discouraged from thinking about what’s right and standing on the side of the ethical choice. The people who know you know that fairness matters to you.
- Let’s talk. You can explain complex ideas in ways that make sense to everyone. You know how to deliver praise, keep people moving in the same direction, and tell hard truths, all without either making someone believe you’re their best friend or sowing discord.
- We’re all in this together. Even the people who aren’t your biggest fans have to admit they respect you, because relationships matter to you. When someone has a problem that they’re struggling with, you’re the one they want to talk to first. People know that you’re an honest broker, and you’ll give them a fair shake.
- Everyone deserves to be treated with respect. You are empathetic and compassionate. You never assume that you know all of the reasons why someone acts the way they do, and you understand that examining one’s performance is an opportunity for growth, not just for criticism.
- Something worth doing is worth doing well. Not only do you love a good system, you pride yourself on your ability to assess a need and find a better way to address it. Encountering a poorly thought-out process sets the gears of your mind turning until you’ve rearranged the parts into a better solution.
Location & Compensation:
ActBlue’s office is located in Davis Square in Somerville, MA, just a few blocks from Boston’s MBTA Red Line train. This posting is for a full-time, salaried position located in our office. We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes commuter benefits, fully paid health, dental, and vision insurance, an employer-sponsored 401k contribution plan, and a flexible time off policy. Relocation assistance is also available for the successful candidate.
Complete your application below, or send a cover letter in an email with the subject line “Director of Human Resources” to HRjobs@actblue.com and attach your resume as a .pdf. Be sure to tell us where you found this job posting in your cover letter. Applicants will be contacted if selected for an interview.
ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
ActBlue cannot at this time sponsor work visas.